Pipestone County, MN Bank Note History
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The National Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes of Pipestone County, MN (1889-1935)
'Hometown' National Bank Notes showing the bank's name, and signed by local bank officers, were issued by most National Banks during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935). Pipestone County had seven National Banks in operation between 1889 and 1935. Five of these seven banks issued National Bank Notes.
National Banks of Pipestone County
- First National Bank (Charter 11724) (1920-1933) (Conservatorship/Receivership)
- The First National Bank of Holland did not issue National Bank Notes.
- First National Bank (Charter 6523) (1902-1925) (Receivership/Local Depression)
- First National Bank (Charter 3982) (1889-2015) (Merged into First Bank & Trust, Brookings, SD)
- Pipestone National Bank (Charter 10936) (1917-1929) (Succeeded by 13399)
- –> Pipestone National Bank (Charter 13399) (1929-1984) (Merged into First Bank, Luverne, MN)
- The Pipestone National Bank (Charter 13399) did not issue National Bank Notes.
- First National Bank (Charter 5892) (1901-1910) (Converted to State Bank of Ruthton)
- First National Bank (Charter 7625) (1905-1933) (Conservatorship/Receivership)
Bank Note Signers
- Henry E. Briggs (Charter 3982)
- William C. Briggs (Charter 3982; MN State Representative)
- Charles J. Cawley (Charter 3982)
- Edward W. Davies (Charters 5892,6523,7625,10936/13399; Plus 3 SD National Banks)
- Morris Evans (Charter 3982)
- Edward J. Feldman (Charter 3982; Plus 1 other MN National Bank & several State Banks)
- William Frost (Charter 3982)
- August H. Jansen (Charter 3982)
- William T. Morgan (Charter 3982)
- Charles Mylius (Charter 3982)
- Thaddeus E. Nash (Charters 10936,3982)
- Arthur C. Walker (Charters 3982,10936/13399)
National Bank Notes
National Bank Ephemera
- Minnesota Bank Note History
- Information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes (Wikipedia)
- General information on Pipestone County (Wikipedia)
- General information on Minnesota (Wikipedia)
- Pipestone County Historical Society & Museum, Pipestone, MN, https://pipestonecountymuseum.com/
- Arthur P. Rose, An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone Minnesota (Luverne, MN: Northern History Publishing Co.,1911).
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com