How You Can Help with this Project
If you would like to help with the Bank Note History Project, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
There are three primary areas where you can with help us with this Project:
- Get Basic Banker information into the Banks & Bankers Database for as many Bankers as possible. This includes Full Name (instead of initials) and Birth and/or Death dates. This information helps us tie together multi-bank bankers and also provides a good starting point for further biographical research on those bankers. This information will automatically be included when the Banker Bio page is created in the Bank Note History Wiki.
- Identify other National Bank Note signers not listed in the Banks & Bankers Database, including VPs and Assistant Cashiers, as well as Presidents or Cashiers not included in the OCC reports.
- Add more Bank Histories and Banker Bios to the Bank Note History Wiki, that can be linked to the Banks & Bankers Database, as well as other online resources.
1. Basic Banker information should include the following for each banker:
- Bank Charter Number (or Haxby# if an Obsolete Bank) to make sure we can find the correct banker.
- Full Banker Name (instead of initials).
- Birth Date (partial date is ok).
- Birth Place (if known).
- Death Date (partial date is ok).
- Death/Burial Place (if known).
- Source(s) of the info above (provide a link, or otherwise indicate the source).
- Note: One good (free) resource for this basic bio info is Findagrave.com
- Comments/Clarifications (if needed).
- Send an email with the above information to BankNoteHistory@gmail.com, with a subject of 'Basic Banker info'.
- Note: If you have Basic Banker info for many bankers, please send the above info in an Excel spreadsheet. If only one or a few bankers, you can just include the text in the body of the email.
2. For other National Bank Note signers not listed in the Banks & Bankers Database (ie VPs or Assistant Cashiers), include the following info for each bank note signer:
- Bank Charter Number
- Banker Name (the full Banker name instead of just the initials would be great if you have it).
- Signature source (indicate where we can view a note with the signature (ie Heritage or NBNCensus), or attach a scan of the signature).
- You can also Include the Basic Banker info listed above for this banker, if you have it.
- Send an email for each new signer with the above information to BankNoteHistory@gmail.com, with a subject of 'New Bank Note signer (charter#) (banker name)'.
3. To Add National Bank Histories and Banker Bios to the Bank Note History Wiki:
- The Project Administrator has utilities available to create new Bank History and Banker Bio pages in the wiki, including relevant data from the Banks & Bankers Database. After the administrator has created the new Bank History or Banker Bio page, you can edit that page to expand the Bank History or Banker Bio section, upload images, and 'clean up' the rest of the page as needed.
- See this link for detailed instructions on How to Add a new National Bank History page to the wiki.
- See this link for detailed instructions on How to Add a new Banker Bio page to the wiki.