Bank Note History Overview Links
- Bank Note History Wiki Overview (Wiki Main page).
- Banks and Bankers Database Overview & User Guide.
- Video: What's New with the Bank Note History Project presented at SPMC's February 2021 online Seminar.
- Video: Bank Note History Project Overview presented at the 2019 IPMS in Kansas City.
- Note: This video was recorded before the new Bank Search procedures were added to the Banks & Bankers Database, so it focuses on the more advanced Bank Officer Search procedure for searching the database. See the 'Bank Note History Project - Banks & Bankers Database' article below for information on using the new Bank Search procedures.
- This article is a detailed tutorial on how to use the National Bank Search procedures in the Banks & Bankers Database, and shows the information available for each bank. It also provides a brief overview on how to use the Bank Officer Search.
- This article provides an overview of the Bank Note History Wiki. It also lets you know how you can help us out with historical content for the Wiki and the Banks & Bankers Database.
How to contribute Content to this Wiki
- This is an Open/Public access Wiki. No user login is required to View the information on this wiki.
- Only users with an account setup on this wiki (and a confirmed email address) are allowed to Add new pages or Edit existing pages.
- To have a login account set up for you, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject of 'New Wiki Account', including your full name and email address. When your account is set up, you will receive an email allowing you to set your login password. (Be sure to watch your spam folder, in case that email gets routed there).
- When you set your login password, you will also need to confirm your email address by checking the 'confirm email address' checkbox down by your email address. When you receive that confirmation email, respond as requested, and your email address will be confirmed. You will then be able to Edit new and existing pages in this wiki.
- How to Edit a wiki page using the Visual Editor.
- A new Visual Editor is now available that works like a word processor (ie Microsoft Word), rather than directly editing the wiki source text like before. This makes it much easier for users to edit wiki pages and upload images.
- This link provides detailed instructions on how to create a new National Bank History page on this wiki.
- This link provides detailed instructions on how to create a new Banker Bio page on this wiki.
- Images can be uploaded in the Visual Editor, or by using the Upload File sidebar link.
- Be sure to include Sources/References!
- For information on the Creative Commons licensing used for this wiki, see Content Licensing.
This wiki is based on MediaWiki software, the same software that runs Wikipedia. So it uses the same markup language.
- Basic User Guide to MediaWiki markup language (for Advanced Users).
- This guide provides a basic overview of the markup language used for the wiki source text.
- How to Edit a wiki page using the Source Editor (for Advanced Users).
- In addition to the Visual Editor, the Source Editor is also available for direct editing of the wiki source text.
- For more advanced information on using the MediaWiki markup language, see the MediaWiki User Guide.
Watchlist Email Notifications
To help you keep up to date, the wiki can automatically send you an email notification whenever a wiki page that you are 'Watching' has been changed.
To take advantage of this feature, you will need to have a login account set up on this wiki to track the pages on your Watchlist. To get your account set up, send an email to email@example.com with your full name and email address. When your account is set up, you will receive a verification link to set your password. You will then be able to login to the wiki and add pages to your Watchlist, as well as edit existing wiki pages and create new Bank History and Banker Bio pages.
The Project News page is a great page to add to your Watchlist to keep up-to-date on new project features, and other relevant information about the Bank Note History Project.
The State Home pages are another good use of this feature. If you are primarily interested in Bank Note History for a particular state or states(s), then you can add those page(s) to your Watchlist. Then whenever that page is updated (ie to highlight new wiki content for that state), you would be notified via email.
Note: Once you receive a notification that a wiki page has been changed, there will be no further change notifications until you visit this page while logged in.
There are several ways to manage what wiki pages are on your Watchlist:
- If you are logged into your wiki account, any page that you are viewing will have a star next to the 'View History' tab at the top of the page. If that star is blue, that means you are watching that page, and a white star means you are not watching the page. Clicking on the star will toggle back and forth between 'watching' and 'not watching'.
- Whenever you add a new page, or edit an existing page, down at the bottom of that page, near the 'Save' button is a 'Watch this page' checkbox that controls whether this page will be on your watchlist. Whenever you are editing a page, remember to uncheck this option, if you don't want it on your Watchlist
- A (logged in) user can also manage their Watchlist by going to the 'Special Pages' link on the sidebar, and then the 'Watchlist' page in the 'Recent changes and logs' section. That page allows the user to 'View relevant changes', 'View (and Edit) watchlist', 'Edit raw watchlist' (to easily add/delete multiple watchlist pages), and 'Clear the watchlist'. You can also reset the notification flags for all of the pages on your watchlist by clicking on the 'Mark all pages visited' button.
Your email notification options are found on your 'Preferences' page (the link is in the upper right hand corner when you are logged in). On the 'User Profile' tab, down at the bottom are your email options. The 3 options that are relevant to this discussion are:
- Email me when a page or a file on my watchlist is changed
- Email me when my user talk page is changed
- Email me also for minor edits of pages and files
Normally you would just leave those 3 options set to the default values, which would be checked/yes for the first 2 options, and unchecked/no for the last option (so you would not be notified if the modification was flagged as only a minor edit).
Reporting Errors or Problems
- To report errors or problems with either the Bank Note History Wiki or Banks & Bankers Database, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.