Ohio Bank Note History
The Ohio Bank Note History home page consolidates historical information on the National/Obsolete Banks, Bankers and Banking History of Ohio. It also highlights What's New, along with some Famous Ohio Banks & Bankers, and lists helpful Research Resources.
Ohio County home pages
County Bank Note History home pages provide information on the Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes for that county during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935), and also the Obsolete Bank Note Era (1782-1866) (if applicable for that county). All of the county's National & Obsolete Banks are listed with links to their Bank History pages. Prominent Bankers are also listed with links to their Banker Bio pages. Several Bank Notes are featured, as well as bank postcards and other bank related ephemera.
If you have a local County Historical Society/Museum, they may be interested in adding a link on their website to their County's Bank Note History home page in our wiki.
- (There are currently no Ohio County home pages set up)
What's New in Ohio Bank Note History
- Bank Histories:
- Citizens National Bank, Galion, OH (Charter 1984) (1872-1930)
- First National Bank, Barnesville, OH (Charter 911) (1865-1998)
- Quaker City National Bank, Quaker City, OH (Charter 1989) (1872-1996)
- Miami Valley National Bank, Hamilton, OH (Charter 3840) (1888-1914)
- First-Second National Bank, Akron, OH (Charter 9953) (1911-1923)
- Citizens National Bank, New Lexington, OH (Charter 6505) (1902-1932)
- Peoples National Bank, New Lexington, OH (Charter 13596) (1932-1936+)
- Peoples National Bank, Wellsville, OH (Charter 6345) (1902-1932)
- Old Citizens National Bank, Zanesville, OH (Charter 5760) (1901-1979)
- Bellefontaine National Bank, Bellefontaine, OH (Charter 1784) (1871-1933)
- Banker Bios:
Ohio Bank Histories Index
The Bank Histories are organized alphabetically by Town, then by Bank Open Date. To find the Ohio Bank you are looking for, select from the following Index list. You can also search the entire wiki for the Bank's town name or charter number using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
Ohio Banker Biographies Index
The Banker Bios are organized alphabetically by Last Name. To find the Ohio Banker you are looking for, select from the following Index list. For an Index list of all Banker Bios for all States, use the Banker Biographies sidebar link. You can also search the entire wiki for the Banker's last name using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
Ohio National Bank Stats, Lists & Graphs
The label for each of these Stats is a link to the corresponding list of banks
- # Issuing Banks: 648
- # Non-Issuing Banks: 41
- # Large Size Issuers: 613
- # Small Size Issuers: 336
- # Territorial Banks: 0
- NBN Geo. Letter: M
- State Capital: Columbus
- Statehood Date: March 1, 1803
- Ohio National Bank Graphs & Lists
- # of National Banks Chartered By Year
- # of National Bank Failures (Receivership) By Year
- # of National Bank Closures (Receivership/Liquidation/Closed) By Year
- # of National Banks In Operation By Year
- List of 40 National Banks with Lowest # of Notes Issued
- List of Ohio National Banks (Issued Notes) Sorted by Town by Charter#
Famous Ohio Banks & Bankers
- First National Bank/American-First NB/First NB & TC, Findlay, OH (Charter 36) (1863-1991)
- First National Bank of Salem, OH (Charter 43-2691-43) (1863-1989)
- First National Bank, Shelby, OH (Charter 1929) (1872-2004) Small national bank notes from this bank have a charter number which matches the series year.
- Brotherhood of Railway Clerks National Bank, Cincinnati, OH (Charter 12446) (1923-1930) Bank was a relatively short-lived experiment by a national labor organization to offer banking services to its members directly.
Ohio Counties Index
This index lists Ohio counties that had towns with National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
Ohio Towns Index
This index lists Ohio towns that had National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
Ohio Obsolete to National Bank Conversions
- The Mount Vernon Bank (Haxby OH-305) (1862-1865) -> First National Bank, Mount Vernon, OH (Charter 908) (1865-1939)
- The State Bank of Ohio, Farmers' Branch in Salem (Haxby OH-5) (1840s-1865) -> Farmers National Bank, Salem, OH (Charter 973) (1865-1979)
- Western Reserve Bank, Warren (Haxby OH-435) -> First National Bank, Warren, OH (Charter 74) (1863-1902)
Ohio Banking History
- Information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes (Wikipedia)
- General information on Ohio (Wikipedia)
Ohio Research Resources
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- The National Bank Note Census, nbncensus.com
- OCC Annual Reports 1863 – 1935 (U.S. Treasury Dept: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency).
- (The OCC Annual Reports are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- The Bankers Magazine 1846 – 1922 (New York: various publishers over the years).
- (The Bankers Magazine volumes are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- Rand McNally Banker's Directories 1879 – 1935 (Chicago: Rand McNally & Company).
- Polk's Banker's Encyclopedias 1895 – 1935 (Detroit and New York: Polk Bankers Encyclopedia Co.).
- James A. Haxby, United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 (4 volumes) (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1988).
- Paper Money Journal, 1962-present (Published by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, spmc.org). Many articles over the years about the history of National & Obsolete Banks and Bankers. An archive of all back issues with search capabilities is online for SPMC members at spmc.org.
- FDIC, Bank Find History website. https://research2.fdic.gov/bankfind/index.html