How to Add a new Banker Bio page
Follow these instructions when you want to Add a new Banker Bio page to this wiki.
Adding a Banker Bio page
1. Before you ask to have a new Banker Bio page created in the wiki, you should try to have the following information ready:
- Note: If the Basic Banker Info (Birth/Death Dates) for this Banker has not yet been entered into the Banks & Bankers Database, that info will also need to be provided before the Banker Bio page can be created. See the How You Can Help sidebar link for details.
- Bank Charter Number (also include the Bank Name, Town and State to verify the Bank Charter#).
- Banker Name (include the Full name if you know it, instead of just initials).
- Photo of the banker.
- Text (and sources) for the Banker Biography section.
- Obituary (if found, please provide a link or attach a scan of the Obit).
- A scan of a bank note with good signatures of the bank officers, signed by this banker.
- Comments/Clarifications (if needed).
- Note: If you don't have some of the above information available, that's ok. You (or other users) can add missing images and update information later.
2. When you are ready to have the Banker Bio page created in the wiki, send an email with the above information to BankNoteHistory@gmail.com with a subject of 'New Banker Bio page'.
- Also include your full name and email address, so your account can be set up on the wiki website (if it is not already set up):
- When your account is first set up on the wiki, you will receive an email asking you to change/set your login password (so watch your spam folder to make sure that email didn't get routed there).
- When you set your login password, you will also need to confirm your email address by checking the Confirm Email Address checkbox down by your email address. When you receive that confirmation email, respond as requested, and your email address will be confirmed.
- Once you have set your login password, and your email address is confirmed, you will be able to edit your new Banker Bio page as needed (and also place it on your Watch List, so you can be notified via email if another user makes a change to that page).
- You can even edit any other Bank Histories or Banker Bio pages, if you have information to add...that's the great thing about wikis, they are community projects!
3. When the wiki administrator receives your email, they will use a utility to create the new Banker Bio page in the wiki.
- The following information will automatically be filled in from the Banks & Bankers Database:
- Banker Bio Summary (listing the basic banker info (Full name, Birth/Death Dates, etc).
- List of Bank(s) this banker was associated with.
- They will also do the following:
- Add the Banker Bio link to the What's New section of the State Home page.
- Add the Banker Bio link to the relevant Banker Bios Index page on the wiki.
- Update the Banker Bio link on any Bank History pages associated with that banker.
- Link the new Banker Bio page to that banker in the Bank & Bankers Database.
- Contact you to let you know the Banker Bio page is set up and ready to go.
4. After the administrator has created the new Banker Bio page in the wiki, you can edit that page to expand the Banker Bio section, upload images, and 'clean up' the rest of the page as needed.
- The Banker Biography section will already include the Banker Bio Summary information (Birth/Death Dates, etc) from the Banks & Bankers Database. You can expand on that information as needed, either now or later. Be sure to list your sources down in the References section.
- Images can be uploaded in the Visual Editor, or by using the Upload file sidebar link.
- Remember, this is a wiki, so a page doesn’t have to be perfect to start with! Additional Banker Bio information can be added over time, by you or other users, as it becomes available. Also, you don’t have to worry about making a mistake, or ‘breaking’ anything, since it is easy to undo any changes that have been made.
- We have recently upgraded the wiki software to the latest version. One of the new features is the Visual Editor, which works like a word processor (ie Microsoft Word), rather than directly editing the wiki source text like before. This makes it much easier for users to edit wiki pages and upload images. (Note: The 'old' way of editing using the Source Editor is still available when needed for more advanced editing).
- See this link for information on How to Edit a wiki page using the Visual Editor.
- For further information on adding content to this wiki, see the Help page.
NOTE: If this is your first Banker Bio to be added to the wiki, or you're not familiar/comfortable with editing wiki pages yet, you can go ahead and include any banker bio text (and sources) in your email, attach the image files, and we will set up the full Banker Bio page for you.