North Carolina Bank Note History
The North Carolina Bank Note History home page consolidates historical information on the National/Obsolete Banks, Bankers and Banking History of North Carolina. It also highlights What's New, along with some Famous North Carolina Banks & Bankers, and lists helpful Research Resources.
North Carolina County home pages
County Bank Note History home pages provide information on the Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes for that county during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935), and also the Obsolete Bank Note Era (1782-1866) (if applicable for that county). All of the county's National & Obsolete Banks are listed with links to their Bank History pages. Prominent Bankers are also listed with links to their Banker Bio pages. Several Bank Notes are featured, as well as bank postcards and other bank related ephemera.
If you have a local County Historical Society/Museum, they may be interested in adding a link on their website to their County's Bank Note History home page in our wiki.
- (There are currently no North Carolina County home pages set up)
What's New in North Carolina Bank Note History
- Bank Histories:
- First National Bank, Mount Airy, NC (Charter 4896) (1893-1973)
- National Bank of Granville at Oxford, NC (Charter 8996) (1908-1929)
- Elkin National Bank, Elkin, NC (Charter 5673) (1901-1932)
- First National Bank, Morganton, NC (Charter 5450) (1900-1967)
- First National Bank/First & Citizens NB, Elizabeth City, NC (Charter 4628) (1891-1968)
- First National Bank, Hickory, NC (Charter 4597) (1891-1981)
- Murchison National Bank, Wilmington, NC (Charter 5182) (1899-1929)
- National Bank, Burlington, NC (Charter 13613) (1932-1954)
- National Bank of Alamance, Graham, NC (Charter 8844) (1907-1968)
- National Bank, Greenville, NC (Charter 8160) (1906-1930)
North Carolina Bank Histories Index
The Bank Histories are organized alphabetically by Town, then by Bank Open Date. To find the North Carolina Bank you are looking for, select from the following Index list. You can also search the entire wiki for the Bank's town name or charter number using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
North Carolina Banker Biographies Index
The Banker Bios are organized alphabetically by Last Name. To find the North Carolina Banker you are looking for, select from the following Index list. For an Index list of all Banker Bios for all States, use the Banker Biographies sidebar link. You can also search the entire wiki for the Banker's last name using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
North Carolina National Bank Stats, Lists & Graphs
The label for each of these Stats is a link to the corresponding list of banks
- # Issuing Banks: 127
- # Non-Issuing Banks: 20
- # Large Size Issuers: 118
- # Small Size Issuers: 63
- # Territorial Banks: 0
- # Towns with Issuing Banks: 74
- # Counties with Issuing Banks: 53
- NBN Geo. Letter: S
- State Capital: Raleigh
- Statehood Date: November 21, 1789
- North Carolina National Bank Graphs & Lists
- # of National Banks Chartered By Year
- # of National Bank Failures (Receivership) By Year
- # of National Bank Closures (Receivership/Liquidation/Closed) By Year
- # of National Banks In Operation By Year
- List of 40 North Carolina National Banks with Lowest # of Notes Issued
- List of North Carolina National Banks (Issued Notes) Sorted by Town by Charter#
Famous North Carolina Banks & Bankers
North Carolina Counties Index
This index lists North Carolina counties that had towns with National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
North Carolina Towns Index
This index lists North Carolina towns that had National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
North Carolina Obsolete to National Bank Conversions
North Carolina Banking History
- Information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes (Wikipedia)
- General information on North Carolina (Wikipedia)
North Carolina Research Resources
- Historical Society of North Carolina
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- The National Bank Note Census, nbncensus.com
- OCC Annual Reports 1863-1935 (U.S. Treasury Dept: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency).
- (The OCC Annual Reports are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- The Bankers Magazine 1846-1922 (New York: various publishers over the years).
- (The Bankers Magazine volumes are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- Rand McNally Banker's Directories 1879-1935 (Chicago: Rand McNally & Company).
- Polk's Banker's Encyclopedias 1895-1935 (Detroit and New York: Polk Bankers Encyclopedia Co.).
- James A. Haxby, United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 (4 volumes) (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1988).
- Paper Money Journal, 1962-present (Published by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, spmc.org). Many articles over the years about the history of National & Obsolete Banks and Bankers. An archive of all back issues with search capabilities is online for SPMC members at spmc.org.
- FDIC, Bank Find History website.