District of Columbia Bank Note History
The District of Columbia Bank Note History home page consolidates historical information on the National/Obsolete Banks, Bankers and Banking History of District of Columbia. It also highlights What's New, along with some Famous District Of Columbia Banks & Bankers, and lists helpful Research Resources.
District of Columbia County home pages
County Bank Note History home pages provide information on the Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes for that county during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935), and also the Obsolete Bank Note Era (1782-1866) (if applicable for that county). All of the county's National & Obsolete Banks are listed with links to their Bank History pages. Prominent Bankers are also listed with links to their Banker Bio pages. Several Bank Notes are featured, as well as bank postcards and other bank related ephemera.
If you have a local County Historical Society/Museum, they may be interested in adding a link on their website to their County's Bank Note History home page in our wiki.
- (There are currently no District of Columbia County home pages set up)
What's New in District of Columbia Bank Note History
- Bank Histories:
- Farmers and Mechanics NB, Georgetown, DC (Charter 1928) (1865-1928)
- Commercial National Bank, Washington, DC (Charter 7446) (1904-1933)
- National Metropolitan Bank/National Metropolitan Citizens Bank, Washington, DC (Charter 1069) (1865-1958)
- Citizens NB of Hagerstown, MD/Citizens NB of Washington, DC (Charter 1893) (1871-1904)
District of Columbia Bank Histories Index
The Bank Histories are organized alphabetically by Town, then by Bank Open Date. To find the District of Columbia Bank you are looking for, select from the following Index list. You can also search the entire wiki for the Bank's town name or charter number using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
District of Columbia Banker Biographies Index
The Banker Bios are organized alphabetically by Last Name. To find the District of Columbia Banker you are looking for, select from the following Index list. For an Index list of all Banker Bios for all States, use the Banker Biographies sidebar link. You can also search the entire wiki for the Banker's last name using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
District of Columbia National Bank Stats, Lists & Graphs
The label for each of these Stats is a link to the corresponding list of banks
- # Issuing Banks: 27
- # Non-Issuing Banks: 4
- # Large Size Issuers: 25
- # Small Size Issuers: 11
- # Territorial Banks: 0
- # Towns with Issuing Banks: 2
- # Counties with Issuing Banks: 1
- NBN Geo. Letter: E
- Federal Capital: Washington
- Capital district Date: July 16, 1790
- District of Columbia National Bank Graphs & Lists
- # of National Banks Chartered By Year
- # of National Bank Failures (Receivership) By Year
- # of National Bank Closures (Receivership/Liquidation/Closed) By Year
- # of National Banks In Operation By Year
- List of 40 District of Columbia National Banks with Lowest # of Notes Issued
- List of District of Columbia National Banks (Issued Notes) Sorted by Town by Charter#
Famous District of Columbia Banks & Bankers
District of Columbia Counties Index
This index lists District of Columbia counties that had towns with National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
District of Columbia Towns Index
This index lists District of Columbia towns that had National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
District of Columbia Obsolete to National Bank Conversions
- Bank of the Metropolis, Haxby DC-290 (1814-1865) -> National Metropolitan Bank/National Metropolitan Citizens Bank, Washington, DC (Charter 1069) (1865-1958)
District of Columbia Banking History
- Information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes (Wikipedia)
- General information on District of Columbia (Wikipedia)
- Historical Society of Washington, DC (Wikipedia)
- Mayors of Washington, DC (Wikipedia)
District of Columbia Research Resources
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- The National Bank Note Census, nbncensus.com
- OCC Annual Reports 1863-1935 (U.S. Treasury Dept: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency).
- (The OCC Annual Reports are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- The Bankers Magazine 1846-1922 (New York: various publishers over the years).
- (The Bankers Magazine volumes are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- Rand McNally Banker's Directories 1879-1935 (Chicago: Rand McNally & Company).
- Polk's Banker's Encyclopedias 1895-1935 (Detroit and New York: Polk Bankers Encyclopedia Co.).
- James A. Haxby, United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 (4 volumes) (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1988).
- Paper Money Journal, 1962-present (Published by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, spmc.org). Many articles over the years about the history of National & Obsolete Banks and Bankers. An archive of all back issues with search capabilities is online for SPMC members at spmc.org.
- FDIC, Bank Find History website. https://research2.fdic.gov/bankfind/index.html