Arizona Bank Note History
The Arizona Bank Note History home page consolidates historical information on the National/Obsolete Banks, Bankers and Banking History of Arizona. It also highlights What's New, along with some Famous Arizona Banks & Bankers, and lists helpful Research Resources.
Arizona County home pages
County Bank Note History home pages provide information on the Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes for that county during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935), and also the Obsolete Bank Note Era (1782-1866) (if applicable for that county). All of the county's National & Obsolete Banks are listed with links to their Bank History pages. Prominent Bankers are also listed with links to their Banker Bio pages. Several Bank Notes are featured, as well as bank postcards and other bank related ephemera.
If you have a local County Historical Society/Museum, they may be interested in adding a link on their website to their County's Bank Note History home page in our wiki.
- (There are currently no Arizona County home pages set up)
What's New in Arizona Bank Note History
- Bank Histories:
- Banker Bios:
Arizona Bank Histories Index
The Bank Histories are organized alphabetically by Town, then by Bank Open Date. To find the Arizona Bank you are looking for, select from the following Index list. You can also search the entire wiki for the Bank's town name or charter number using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
Arizona Banker Biographies Index
The Banker Bios are organized alphabetically by Last Name. To find the Arizona Banker you are looking for, select from the following Index list. For an Index list of all Banker Bios for all States, use the Banker Biographies sidebar link. You can also search the entire wiki for the Banker's last name using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
Arizona National Bank Stats, Lists & Graphs
The label for each of these Stats is a link to the corresponding list of banks
- # Issuing Banks: 27
- # Non-Issuing Banks: 4
- # Large Size Issuers: 26
- # Small Size Issuers: 11
- # Territorial Banks: 18
- # Towns with Issuing Banks: 16
- # Counties with Issuing Banks: 12
- NBN Geo. Letter: P
- State Capital: Phoenix
- Statehood Date: February 14, 1912
- Arizona National Bank Graphs & Lists
- # of National Banks Chartered By Year
- # of National Bank Failures (Receivership) By Year
- # of National Bank Closures (Receivership/Liquidation/Closed) By Year
- # of National Banks In Operation By Year
- List of 40 Arizona National Banks with Lowest # of Notes Issued
- List of Arizona National Banks (Issued Notes) Sorted by Town by Charter#
Famous Arizona Banks & Bankers
Arizona Counties Index
This index lists Arizona counties that had towns with National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
Arizona Towns Index
This index lists Arizona towns that had National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
Arizona Obsolete to National Bank Conversions
Arizona Banking History
- Information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes (Wikipedia)
- General information on Arizona (Wikipedia)
Arizona Research Resources
- (List any State-specific National Bank and Obsolete Bank References first)
- The Higgins Museum in Okoboji, IA has a Currency Related Research Library, as well as major collections of Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota and Nebraska National Bank Notes on display.
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- The National Bank Note Census, nbncensus.com
- OCC Annual Reports 1863-1935 (U.S. Treasury Dept: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency).
- (The OCC Annual Reports are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- The Bankers Magazine 1846-1922 (New York: various publishers over the years).
- (The Bankers Magazine volumes are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- Rand McNally Banker's Directories 1879-1935 (Chicago: Rand McNally & Company).
- Polk's Banker's Encyclopedias 1895-1935 (Detroit and New York: Polk Bankers Encyclopedia Co.).
- James A. Haxby, United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 (4 volumes) (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1988).
- Paper Money Journal, 1962-present (Published by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, spmc.org). Many articles over the years about the history of National & Obsolete Banks and Bankers. An archive of all back issues with search capabilities is online for SPMC members at spmc.org.
- FDIC, Bank Find History website. https://research2.fdic.gov/bankfind/index.html
- Arizona State Historical Society website, (?)
- Arizona State Legislators - Past & Present website, (search for this - many states have a website with past member bios and pictures).
- Ancestry.com, Findagrave.com, Newspapers.com